ClerVolc outreach activities have fallen into three types:have fallen into three types:
- Public and cultural outreach aimed at promoting ClerVolc at the public level.
- Institutional outreach aimed at establishing ClerVolc as a major European player in the monitoring and management of volcanic crises,
- Industrial outreach aimed at establishing links with industry and promoting technology transfer.
Public and cultural outreach
- Stand dedicated to ClerVolc installed at the Vulcania thematic park dedicated to volcanism (Auvergne), which attracts 300,000 people per year
- Stands at major international conferences, including the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco
- Presentations of the ClerVolc project to many local, regional and national bodies
- Presentations of the ClerVolc project to national (Secretary of State for European Affairs, Minister of higher education and research) and international (Canada, Ecuador) government officials.
- A documentary film on ClerVolc activities released in 2015 on national (Science et vie TV, TV8 MONT BLANC, TL7 ,TV Lyon Métropole,TV Grenoble, etc) and international (NHK) channels.
- Representation of ClerVolc at a state visit of the president of the Republic to the Philippines in February 2015.
- Presentation by ClerVolc of a scientific project (“300 million years in Auvergne”) to 18 school classes in 2016 through the OCCE (Central Office for School cooperation)
- Photo competition ‘Around volcanoes’, at different exhibition halls around the region for one year
- Organisation of three days of science and culture ‘Village of the four elements’, 14 – 16 October 2016 in Clermont Ferrand (2000 visitors)
- In 2018 ClerVolc initiated, and organised, a festival entitled “Les Nuées Ardentes” aimed at children, university students, professionals and the general public.
This festival, which in its first year welcomed 6000 visitors, celebrates the Auvergne
volcanoes through a retro-futuristic mix of scientific experiments, music, theatre and art.
The festival is now an annual event Festival Nuees Ardentes
- Creation of a park of remote sensing instrumentation and expertise available for volcano monitoring in times of crisis
- Signature of a cooperation agreement in 2012 with the Joint International Laboratory (LMI) “Earthquakes and Volcanoes of the Northern Andes”, located in Quito (Ecuador).
- Thermal measurements at Bárðarbunga Volcano in September 2014, on behalf of the Icelandic authorities
- Consultation by the Greek Government during unrest at Santorini Volcano in 2011-2012
- Construction of a volcanic hazard map for Sabancaya Volcano in Peru in 2013 (cooperation INGEMMET-IRD-ClerVolc).
- Consultation of vulnerability of infrastructure in the city of Arequipa (Peru) from El Misti Volcano
- Patent for a system of sensors to measure stresses at the bases of granular flows (Patent FR1462666).